Wavetrac guidance on oil
Your new Wavetrac® differential is incredibly durable and will withstand the harshest environments...as long as suitable oil is used. Many customers ask what oil we recommend for use with the Wavetrac® differential. We feel the best answer is: Use the "factory fill."
In other words, use the gear oil spec that your car manufacturer recommends for your car. The Wavetrac® is compatible with virtually all factory-installed gear oils used today. If you are racing your vehicle, and wish to upgrade the gear oil to improve performance or durability in racing conditions, choose the oil carefully: be aware that some gear oils have additives that are not recommended for use with your Wavetrac®.
Some have friction modifiers designed for limited slip differentials. These modifiers generally increase slipperiness and are intended to reduce clutch disc chatter in conventional clutch-type LSDs. Some gear oils such as Red Line Oil's Shockproof® type have microscopic solid particles in immersion in order to "cushion" transmission components, acting as an extreme pressure agent. The Wavetrac® and all helical gear differentials in general, operate using friction. The friction generated between its internal gears and its housing are what allow this type of differential to function.
Gear oil additives that drastically reduce friction will actually reduce the performance of gear differentials. The internals of the diff get too slick to generate adequate friction - reducing the differential's effectiveness - reducing its ability to drive both wheels.
In conclusion, when using a Wavetrac®:
- You can use factory spec oils for your car
- Use Motul Synthetic high performance oils if you wish to upgrade the oil. Please consult Autotech Driveline for recommendations.
- Avoid gear oils with limited slip additives.
- Do NOT use RedLine, Shockproof® or similar gear oils.
- Do NOT use factory spec oils with limited slip additives (e.g. BMW ///M oil)
Performance Gear Oils we have used and know are compatible:
- MOTUL GEAR 300 75W-90 (generally for transaxles) https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/gear-300-75w90
- MOTUL GEAR COMPETITION 75W-140 (generally for axles and transaxles where shift quality does not matter) https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/gear-competition-75w140
- MOTUL MULTI DCTF (generally for VAG DSG/S-Tronic) https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/multi-dctf
Please note that you will void the Wavetrac® Limited Lifetime warranty if incorrect gear oil is used.
Information up to date as of 29/03/2023